Sunday 23 January 2011

Episode 4: Grown Ups, The Hole, The Switch, Certified Copy, Soul Men and more!

Episode 4

The latest episode is now available!


As usual I review all the new releases that debuted on Blu over the last week, as well as giving a quick 'heads up' of new titles coming out in the week ahead and giving a rundown on the best-selling Blu-rays in the Official Sales Chart for the last seven days, up to the evening of Saturday, 22nd January 2011.

This week's new reviews include American comedies Grown Ups (2010) and Soul Men (2008), family-oriented horror film The Hole (2010), romantic comedy The Switch, Cannes film festival award winner Certified Copy, and two classics from the Japanese director Yasujiro Ozu Equinox Flower (1958) and Good Morning (1959).

If you found this week's News and Chart rant interesting I've got an interesting blog post about Chart Hyping and the Increasing Power of the Supermarkets over on my personal blog.

I'd love you to rate the podcast on iTunes to help it get a sufficient number of ratings for an average to become visible on iTunes podcast search (and thanks to the three folks who've already given the podcast five star ratings. Truly humbling!)


And if you're hard of hearing, or just don't have time to listen to podcasts don't forget you can always download the transcript of this week's podcast.







Due Out Over the Next 7 Days

The following titles are likely to be reviewed in next week's podcast:
  Devil (2010)
  Doctor Who - A Christmas Carol (2010)
  Lemmy (2010)
  My One and Only (2009)
  The Other Guys (2010)
  Shogun Assassin (1980)
  Spartacus (1960)

The following titles are also released this week, but unlikely to be reviewed in next week's podcast:

  Backdraft (1991)
  The Breakfast Club (1985)
  Daylight (1996)
  Dead Space: Downfall (2008)
  Dead Space: Aftermath (2011)
  Definitely Maybe (2008)
  Intolerable Cruelty (2003)
  The John Cena Experience (2010)
  Liar Liar (1997)
  Meet Joe Black (1998)
  Notting Hill (1999)
  Out of Africa (1985)
  Shakespeare In Love (1998)
  Smokey and the Bandit (1997)
  Tremors (1990)
  Two for the Money (2005)

2 comments:

  1. Another enjoyable listen, Ian. You seem to get stuck with a lot of bad movies to review but that's the luck of the draw. I'd be interested to hear your review criteria, is it intended to be a full review of the discs released on Blu-Ray in that week ? You've persuaded me to watch The Hole, by the way.

    Also pleased to see the Ozu films get a very finely expressed mention. I've only seen Ozu's Tokyo Story but that is a remarkable film for any director, intensely moving. Your pod delivery remains head and shoulders above their effort as well.

    best regards
    bosque

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bosque, Hope you enjoy "The Hole".

    Review Criteria until now has been whatever's released unless it's a total stinker. Obviously next week that's impossible so I'm avoiding the budget titles (mostly because I already have most on HD-DVD and see no point in buying them again). If I have more than 6 titles I tend to start using the imdb and RottenTomatoes ratings to cut out the crap. However I don't feel I can ignore the high profile titles - which is why I reviewed "Grown Ups" this week and "Resident Evil" last week, even though I was pretty confident I wouldn't like them. I don't want to become the "Sight and Sound" of podcasts - reviewing art house stuff that most people aren't interested in.

    On the other hand, not sure how many more crap Adam Sandler/Will Ferrell, Ben Stiller titles I can cope with and the supermarkets seem to always go for those.

    ReplyDelete