Sunday 6 February 2011

#6: The Town, Wall Street 2, Winter's Bone and more...

Episode 6

The latest episode is now available!


The latest podcast is now available.
This week's new reviews include Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (2010), The Town (2010), Winter's Bone (2010), Going The Distance (2010), Mr. Nice (2010), 22 Bullets (2010),
Amer (2009) and Legend of the Fist: The Return of the Chen Zhen (2010).

I'd love you to rate the podcast on iTunes to help it get a sufficient number of ratings for an average to become visible on iTunes podcast search (and thanks to the three folks who've already given the podcast five star ratings. Truly humbling!)


And if you're hard of hearing, or just don't have time to listen to podcasts don't forget you can always download the transcript of this week's podcast.




Due Out Over the Next 7 Days

The following titles are officially released on Monday, 7th February 2011 and likely to be reviewed in next week's podcast (Episode 7):
  Bambi (1942)
  Charlie St. Cloud (2010)
  Diary Of A Wimpy Kid (2010)
  Eat Pray Love (2010)
  Once Upon A Time In America (1984)
  The Rebound (2010)
  Takers (2010)
  True Grit (1969)

The following titles are also released this week, but unlikely to be reviewed in next week's podcast:
  Big Momma's House (2000)
  Big Momma's House 2 (2006)
  Bragging Rights (2010)
  Brief Encounter (1945) (Reissue in Valentine's Day packaging)
  I Spit On Your Grave (2010)
  Red and White (2009)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for another excellent cast. I was almost willing you to make Winter's Bone your pick of the week but understand your reasons for not doing so. Very impressed by this film. Did intend giving The Town a miss, but will rent after listening to your cast. Also going to give Amer a whirl.
    Really looking forward tp your next broadcast. I'm hoping to get an early rental for Once Upon A Time In America. Very close to being career bests for Leone, De Niro, Woods and Morricone.

    See you next week, and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve and thanks for the kind words. To be honest, I thought this podcast was one of the weaker ones - I ran out of time and it was too long, a bit repetitive and over-long clips meant the running time went way beyond the target 30 minutes I'd set myself. It's one of the reasons I'm not overly-marketing the podcast yet as I don't think I'm quite there yet.

    I probably got swayed on the "Release of the Week" front from comments from those who'd bought it based on the good press only to say they were very disappointed with it. The reality is that I think "The Town" can be enjoyed by the mainstream masses, and those with wider tastes, whereas "Winter's Bone" has a narrower potential audience (as evidenced by the fact I couldn't find any High Street store stocking it). But it is, as you say, a really excellent film.

    I watched "Once Upon a Time" for the first time last night (despite having bought it on HD-DVD and never got around to it. I think the 3 hours 40 minutes running time put me off). At the risk of giving away my review this week I thought it was an excellent film and a pretty good transfer, although those calling it "amazing" seem to have different standards from me. "Gone with the Wind" or "The Wizard of Oz" is "amazing", "Once Upon a Time" is "pretty good".

    Certainly it's a contender for "Release of the Week" in what has turned out to be another strong week (If we ignore the truly dreadful "Eat Pray Love" ;-))

    ReplyDelete